TeamSickness

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

I, Too Have The Sickness...(Introduction)

MIKE'S CINEMA - "The unwatched shelf"
I'm pleased to be part of "Team Sickness." I thought I'd introduce myself since you will probably see lot from me in the days to come...

First off, I'm Mike, I started collecting DVDs back in 2001 after flipping through over 300 channels of cable only to find nothing worth watching. I canceled my subscription immediately thereafter and started using my video store membership to rent a minimum of three movies a week. While renting, I found myself constantly peeking in discount bins and buying whatever interested me. My collection sprouted from a meager ten titles to a couple hundred in as little as six months. It wasn't until 2010 though before I realized I had the "sickness" though.

The year 2010 was the unfortunate fall of video stores in my area, three chain stores closed that year. I was finding myself partaking in these clearance sales every week, most of the titles I picked up are still unwatched to this day. The [awful] picture I attached to this post is part of my entire unwatched shelf (300 of about 500 unwatched titles shown; for some reason I refuse to integrate titles I've seen with ones I haven't).  I have well over 3,500 titles in my collection now, and it's still growing from there. I will always have something "new" to watch!

Some of my favorite cinema...
  • Directors: Ron Howard and Steven Spielberg
  • Actors: Michael Keaton and Harrison Ford
  • Movies: Forrest Gump; Stand By Me; Beetle Juice; E.T; The Wizard of Oz ...the list goes on!
  • Genre: Action, Horror, Comedy, Science-Fiction (in that order)
Last year, I started my own website, Mike's Cinema as a place where I could try writing reviews and keeping track of my collecting habits. Prior to that I wrote a few pieces on the now defunct forum "Film-Talk." Shortly after that forum closed down, I started a small "refugee" forum for the few members that were left, which is open to anyone who enjoys talking about movies... Movie Talk

If you have any additional questions for me, feel free to post a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment