TeamSickness

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

31 Days of Horror: Mama [Short Film] (2008) DAY SIXTEEN

Tonight I re-discovered the original short film which inspired the feature film version of Mama, which came out in 2013. I had previously viewed this the night I saw Mama in cinemas. It can be found on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRqS6pBC42w

The story starts with one sister waking the other, she informs her that their Mother has returned home. They both venture downstairs, crashing of pots and pans can be heard, they check the front door which is locked, at this point we see "Mama" but, not her face as it is covered by swaying, ghostly black hair. She runs at the girls, both of whom run upstairs again. The first girl manages to hide in a bedroom but, slams the door shut leaving her ill-fated sister behind. Mama then runs at the camera.

At only 3 minutes long this film is pulled off superbly. I'm not going to lie, this is actually a VERY scary short film. I felt the full feature did show a little bit too much of Mama towards the end of the film, and the climax felt almost Disney-esque. This however, shows just enough of Mama, but never too much. It's the contortionist run which does it for me, very disturbing. If you enjoyed the feature film or are just looking for a scary short story; WATCH THIS!

5/5, superbly done and very scary!

2 comments:

  1. Woah! Creepy! With any luck the movie will be good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I enjoyed the film and will probably pick it up when I can find it cheap. I'd give it maybe 3.5 out of 5. Thanks for the response! -Matt-

      Delete