TeamSickness

Monday, October 21, 2013

31 Days of Horror: Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth (1992) DAY TWENTY ONE

Once again I seem to have missed a few nights. Typical. Anyway, once again another re-watch, I decided to check out Hellraiser III again. From what I remember this had actually always been my favourite Hellraiser film....5-6 years ago.

Our story follows Joey Summerskill, a budding news reporter based in New York. The film begins with a night club owner named J.P Monroe purchasing a bizarre looking sculpture. Of course we soon learn that this sculpture is actually the pillar of souls in which Pinhead is trapped inside. However, once enough blood is spilled on the statue; Pinhead is set free! Once free he begins creating a new army of cenobites that he plans to take over the world with (I'm assuming) and it's up to Joey Summerskill who is now in possession of the Lament Configuration, to send him back to hell for good.

Anyway, as I said 5-6 years ago this was my favourite of the Hellraiser series because of how fun I thought the film was, and it is, it's a great slasher-type film. However, Hellraiser was never meant to be a slasher film, it was meant to be dark, perverse and generally just fucked up. This is not. There are however some elements I love, most of the cast are great, namely the leads; Pinhead, Joey and J.P. The music, as always, is fantastic, but most of all the pillar of souls, I'm glad how it is incorporated into this film and it adds to the mythos. The tone, sadly, is generally lighter this time round and we see far too much of Pinhead, although we do get a great back story into his character. The Cenobites although very inventive seem to be VERY cheesy by today's standards, but CD's and Video Camera's were all the rage in the early nineties (see the cenobites and you'll know what I'm on about). This film is definitely a lot of fun though, I'd recommend it!

4/5, guilty pleasure, but I'm drawing more towards the first as my favourite nowadays.

No comments:

Post a Comment